St. Paul can now add “Turkey Town” to its list of nicknames after being named the #1 city in America for celebrating Thanksgiving by WalletHub.com.
How can this be, you ask?
To determine their rankings, WalletHub used five key dimensions listed below to compare 100 of the most-populated cities in America. Each of these dimensions were evaluated using relevant metrics with corresponding weights. Each metric was graded on a 100-point scale, with a score of 100 representing the most favorable conditions for a Thanksgiving celebration (WalletHub.com)
- Thanksgiving Celebrations & Traditions number of Thanksgiving-themed events, turkey trots, holiday decoration shops, and pumpkin patches per capita
- Affordability: cost of Thanksgiving dinner, number of affordable restaurants with ratings of 4.5 stars, lowest prices for three-star hotel room for the Thanksgiving holiday
- Safety & Accessibility: crime rate, perception of safety, traffic congestion, share of delayed flights, etc…
- Giving Thanks: volunteer opportunities, volunteer hours, charity organizations, and share of income donated to charity per capita
- Weather Forecast: Thanksgiving temperature vs average temperature, forecasted precipitation
St. Paul came out #1 with a combined total score of 65.35. Scottsdale, Virginia Beach, Orlando and Denver came in 2nd – 5th respectively.